Film Policy, Permits and Contacts

Film Policy and Permits:

A filming permit may be required from the authorities responsible for the land you wish to film on. Local councils,  State Government Departments and Local Aboriginal Land Councils (LALCs) will have contacts responsible for issuing permits and answering queries. These contact details are listed below.

Northern Rivers Council Contacts:

Byron Shire Council:

Tweed Shire Council:

Ballina Shire Council:

Lismore City Council:

Clarence Valley Council: 

Kyogle Shire Council:

Richmond Valley Council:

State Government Contacts:

To apply for a permit to film in a NSW National Park, please refer to the following link for initial filming information and regulations:

To apply for a permit to film in a NPWS Byron Coast Area National Park (includes Cape Byron State Conservation Area, Broken Head Reserve), please call Byron Coast Area on (02) 66209300 or email

There are definitive guidelines for filming in NSW National Parks and a minimum 7 day lead time for permits. Screenworks advises to submit filming applications in good time and to include as much relevant information as you have to hand. Visitors wishing to use drones in parks must obtain consent from the park manager. More information is available via this link: Drones in parks

To apply for a permit to film in a NSW Marine Park or Aquatic Reserve, please refer to the following link for initial information:

Northern Rivers contacts are:

  • Cape Byron Marine Park: Andrew Page, Manager , (02) 6620 9305, 
  • Solitary Islands Marine Park: David Greenhalgh A/Manager, (02) 6691 0604
  • Aquatic Reserves: Dr Rodney James, (02) 4222 8343

For initial information about the impact of filming on NSW roads and the permits involved, please refer to the following link:

Northern Rivers contact is:

AMSA issues permits to film inside the Cape Byron and Clarence Head lighthouses. Allow two weeks notice for film inquiries.  For filming enquiries at Fingal Head and Richmond River lighthouses, contact NSW Roads and Maritime. Head Office Contact details are:  / 1300 624 633

To apply for a permit to film in a state forest, please refer to the following link for initial information. Allow four weeks notice for film inquiries.

Northern Rivers Contact is Holly James, Partnerships Leader, (02) 6652 0150 /

To apply for a permit to film on Crown Land, please refer to the following link for initial information. Allow 5 working days for initial response, fees are involved.

Head Office Contact details are: / 1300 886 235

Local Aboriginal Land Councils Contacts:

The NSW network of 120 Local Aboriginal Land Councils (LALCs) is divided into nine regions and in our North Coast region there are 13 LALCs. Please check the Map of Local Aboriginal Land Council boundaries to confirm which LALC you should be seeking permissions and advice from:

Contact details for the Local Aboriginal Land Councils in our North Coast region are listed below (information is current as at October 2017):

    • Baryulgil Square LALC, Baryugil: (02) 6647 2131 or
    • Birrigan Gargle LALC, Yamba:  (02)  6646 1664 or
    • Bogal LALC, Coraki: (02) 6683 2510 or
    • Casino-Boolangle LALC, Casino: (02) 6662 6286 or
    • Grafton Ngerrie LALC, South Grafton:  (02) 6642 6020 or
    • Gugin Gudduba LALC: Kyogle: (02) 6632 1056 or
    • Jali LALC, Ballina: (02) 6686 7055 or
    • Jana Ngalee LALC, Malabugilmah Village: (02) 6647 2209 or
    • Jubullum LALC, Jubullum Village: (02) 6666  1337 or
    • Muli Muli LALC, Woodenbong: (02) 6635 1487 or
    • Ngulingah LALC, Lismore: (02) 6621 5541 or
    • Tweed/Byron LALC, Tweed Heads: (07) 55361763 or
  • Yaegl LALC, Maclean: (02) 6645 3676 or

Funding Bodies and Key Contacts:

There are financial incentives for qualifying Australian and international productions from the NSW Government and Federal Government funding bodies, for more information, visit their websites:

Screen NSW
Phone: +61 2 9995 0521

Screen Australia
Phone: +61 2 8113 5800

Phone: +61 2 9383 4192


CASA Guidelines on Drone use

Visas and Immigration

PathPathways & Protocols : Filmmakers guide to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culture and concepts.

NSW Local Government Filming Protocol

NSW Location Filming Code of Conduct

Sample Council Film Permit Application form

Please support Screenworks by using the links below.