A filming permit may be required from the authorities responsible for the land you wish to film on. Local councils,  State Government Departments and Local Aboriginal Land Councils (LALCs) will have contacts responsible for issuing permits and answering queries. These contact details are listed below.

Useful Links and Forms

Northern Rivers Council Contacts

Byron Shire Council

Tweed Shire Council

Ballina Shire Council

Lismore City Council

Clarence Valley Council

Kyogle Shire Council

Richmond Valley Council

State Government Contacts

NSW National Parks & Wildlife

To apply for a permit to film in a NSW National Park, please refer to the following link for initial filming information and regulations: https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/topics/parks-reserves-and-protected-areas/commercial-activities-in-parks/filming-and-photography-licences

To apply for a permit to film in a NPWS Byron Coast Area National Park (includes Cape Byron State Conservation Area, Broken Head Reserve), please call Byron Coast Area on 02 6639 8300 or email npws.tweedbyron@environment.nsw.gov.au

There are definitive guidelines for filming in NSW National Parks and a minimum 7 day lead time for permits. Screenworks advises to submit filming applications in good time and to include as much relevant information as you have to hand. Visitors wishing to use drones in parks must obtain consent from the park manager. More information is available via this link: Drones in parks

NSW Marine Parks and Aquatic Reserves

To apply for a permit to film in a NSW Marine Park or Aquatic Reserve, please refer to the following link for initial information: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/marine-protected-areas/marine-parks/cape-byron-marine-park/park-management/permits

Northern Rivers contacts are:

NSW Roads and Maritime Authority

For initial information about the impact of filming on NSW roads and the permits involved, please refer to the following link: http://www.screen.nsw.gov.au/page/film-friendly-nsw/parking-road-closures

Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA)

AMSA issues permits to film inside the Cape Byron and Clarence Head lighthouses. Allow two weeks notice for film inquiries.  For filming enquiries at Fingal Head and Richmond River lighthouses, contact NSW Roads and Maritime. Head Office Contact details are: media@amsa.gov.au  / 1300 624 633

Website: www.amsa.gov.au/about/contact-us

Forestry Corporation of NSW

To apply for a permit to film in a state forest, please refer to the following link for initial information. Allow four weeks notice for film inquiries. https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/about/permits2

Northern Rivers Contact is Holly James, Partnerships Leader, (02) 6652 0150 / holly.james@fcnsw.com.au

Contacts List: https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/about/contact-us

Local Aboriginal Land Councils Contacts

Contact details for the Local Aboriginal Land Councils in our North Coast region are listed below (information is current as at October 2017):

  • Baryulgil Square LALC, Baryugil: (02) 6647 2131 or baryulgillalc@activ8.net.au
  • Birrigan Gargle LALC, Yamba:  (02)  6646 1664 or bglalc@internode.on.net
  • Bogal LALC, Coraki: (02) 6683 2510 or bogallalc@bigpond.com
  • Casino-Boolangle LALC, Casino: (02) 6662 6286 or ceo@cblalc.com.au
  • Grafton Ngerrie LALC, South Grafton:  (02) 6642 6020 or  gnlalc@bigpond.com
  • Gugin Gudduba LALC: Kyogle: (02) 6632 1056 or gglalc@bigpond.net.au
  • Jali LALC, Ballina: (02) 6686 7055 or ceo@jalialc.com.au
  • Jana Ngalee LALC, Malabugilmah Village: (02) 6647 2209 or janangalee.council@harboursat.com.au
  • Jubullum LALC, Jubullum Village: (02) 6666  1337 or office.jubullum@gmail.com
  • Muli Muli LALC, Woodenbong: (02) 6635 1487 or matthew.green@y7mail.com
  • Ngulingah LALC, Lismore: (02) 6621 5541 or ceo@ngulingah.org.au
  • Tweed/Byron LALC, Tweed Heads: (07) 55361763 or ceo@tblalc.com
  • Yaegl LALC, Maclean: (02) 6645 3676 or yaegl@internode.on.net
For questions and advice contact the Screenworks team.

We’ll connect you with the relevant people and provide access to materials to support your screen business development.

Contact Us