Screenworks Regional Producer Elevator Program
THIS WEBPAGE REFERS TO AN OLD PROGRAM – PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE INFORMATION ABOUT 2017 REGIONAL PRODUCER ELEVATOR PROGRAM
In partnership with Screen NSW and Screen Producers Australia, Screenworks is excited to introduce our new pilot program aimed at advancing the career paths of 2 regionally-based producers.
The Regional Producer Elevator Program will provide tailored professional development and placement opportunities for two emerging producers living in the Northern Rivers.
Each producer selected for the program will receive an opportunity to increase skills and experience by taking part in a voluntary placement with a local producer, will be flown to Sydney to connect with and observe best practice in a professional metro-based production office, and will join Screenworks staff to attend the 2015 SPA Screen Forever Conference. Each producer will be an unofficial part of the Ones to Watch program at the conference and will therefore enjoy some of the benefits delivered in that program. The two emerging producers selected will also present to a local group of producers and filmmakers about their involvement in the program.
The program is open to producers of all genres, including (but not limited to) TV drama producers, documentary producers and children’s television producers. The program would also suit aspiring Creative Producers who are established writers looking to further develop their producing skills.
The introduction of this exciting new program will build the skills and capacity of two local emerging producers. By supporting project development, connections and support from regionally based professional producers, and connections with metropolitan-based production companies, our emerging producers will increase their skills and capacity so that they are more competitive when applying for funding, placements and professional positions on larger productions, all to the benefit of the Australian Screen Industry.
Screenworks’ research has identified a strong demand for these types of professional opportunities in the Northern Rivers. In particular, we want to help emerging producers that are struggling to meet eligibility criteria of highly competitive funding and professional placement programs offered by organisations and other industry agencies. To help achieve this, we have secured funding from Screen NSW and the support of Screen Producers Australia to undertake a pilot program especially designed to elevate the careers of talented Northern Rivers based emerging producers.
The ultimate goal will be to achieve new opportunities for the participants that will lead to the development of market informed projects ready for financing.
Two producers will undertake the following program:
- 20 days voluntary placement opportunity with a local professional producer (can either in one block or broken down eg 2 days x 10 weeks), where the participating producer will receive a weekly living expenses allowance.
- 1 week (4 nights) trip to Sydney to visit & observe a Sydney-based Production Company and to have meetings with Fulcrum Media Finance, Screen NSW & Screen Australia (flights, accommodation, per diems and transfers covered).
- SPA 2015 Screen Forever Conference – including conference tickets, flights, accommodation (3nts), per diems and ground transfers covered.
- a presentation to the local Producers Group to discuss the outcomes from their involvement in the program (at the completion of the program).
There may also be opportunities for the producers to discuss current or proposed projects to establish their potential. This could happen as part of meeting with the local producers, or with metro-based production companies or funding bodies.
RPEP PARTICIPATING PRODUCERS / PRODUCTION COMPANIES:
Screenworks has received written confirmation from the following local producers who have agreed to help deliver the local producer placement component of the program: Deb Cox, Cate McQuillen, Lois Randall and John Weiley.
The following Sydney-based production companies have also indicated support and interest in being involved with the program:
- Rosemary Blight / Ben Grant – Goalpost Pictures;
- Ian Collie – Essential Media;
- Rebecca Barry – Media Stockade;
- Toby Searles – ITV Studios Australia;
- Jason Burrows – Jungleboys; and
- Liz Watts, Vincent Sheehan and Anita Sheehan – Porchlight Films.
Screenworks has also received confirmation from Screen Producers Australia that the selected producers will included as an unofficial part of the Ones to Watch program at the 2015 Screen Forever Conference and will therefore enjoy some of the benefits delivered in that program.
As an annual sponsor of Screenworks, Fulcrum Media Finance has also expressed interest in mentoring the successful participants involved in the Regional Producer Elevator Program
RPEP APPLICATION PROCESS & ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENT:
Screenworks will conduct an application process and will establish a panel of professional producers / potentially a funding body representative to hand-pick the two emerging producers to take part in the project.
Following is the program’s eligibility and assessment criteria:
- Applicant must have at least one production credit on a production that has been broadcast on free-to-air television or screened at a curated film festival.
- Applicant must be a resident of the Northern Rivers region. Applications from producers living in NSW regional area that surrounds the Northern Rivers (such as Mid-North Coast, etc) may also be considered.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate existing skills and a commitment to a career in the industry with significant relevant production office experience (eg. production manager, production co-ordinator or script coordinator) or have been exposed to professional production practice.
- Applicants must have advanced Microsoft Office skills including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Applicants need to be able to commit to the 10-week voluntary placement, in addition to the 1 week visit to Sydney and the Melbourne visit for SPA Screen Forever Conference (17 – 19 November).
- Applicants must make themselves available to present at the Producers Group on a date to be determined by Screenworks staff.
- Applicant must be a Screenworks Member.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are required to complete an online application form and must identify how they meet the eligibility and assessment criteria listed above.
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED.
DEADLINE: Applications for Regional Producer Elevator Program must be received by: 5pm on MONDAY 12 OCTOBER 2015.
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. Applications can only be submitted online using the form provided.
ENQUIRIES OR MORE INFORMATION:
If you have any questions about the Regional Producer Elevator Program or require information about the application process and / or form, please contact:
Melitta Firth (Screenworks Projects Co-ordinator) |
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (02) 6687 1599
Ken Crouch (Screenworks General Manager) |
Email: email@example.com | Phone: (02) 6687 1599
Screenworks’ Regional Producer Elevator Program is supported by
Screen NSW is the statutory authority established to assist, promote and strengthen the screen industry in NSW so as to promote Australia’s cultural identity, encourage employment in all aspects of screen production, encourage investment in the industry, enhance the industry’s export potential, encourage innovation and enhance quality in the industry.
Screen Producers Australia is a national member based organisation that unites screen businesses to campaign for a healthy commercial environment and supports the interests of businesses large and small in their production of feature films, television programs, interactive content, and games across all genres and formats.
Screen Producers Australia presents SCREEN FOREVER, the premier conference for the Australian screen production industry. SCREEN FOREVER 2015 will be November 17-19, at Crown Conference Centre, Melbourne, Australia.
Published on July 2, 2016 3:35 am