What’s the opportunity?
Inside the Writers Room is an annual professional development program designed to give three regional NSW screenwriters the opportunity to sit in and watch professional writers working on the story for a television script in a writers room environment.
These opportunities are most relevant to emerging or early-career writers of television content, and more specifically TV drama or comedy series.
There may also be an opportunity for the participants to receive advice or a market appraisal on their own projects or scripts.
Tell me more!
Thanks to the support of our partners – Screen NSW, Fremantle, EQ Media, Matchbox Pictures and Wooden Horse – Screenworks is able to offer the selected participants an opportunity to observe writers rooms in these highly respected production companies.
Three early-career regional NSW screenwriters will be offered the following opportunities:
- Observe a writers room in action – up to one-week trip to Sydney or Melbourne (Covid regulations permitting) to observe a professional writers room take place at one of our three partner production companies. This component includes flights, accommodation (up to 5 nights), per diems and ground transfers included.
- Presentation to local screenwriters group – successful participants will be required to provide a written report and a presentation on the experience and outcomes from their involvement in the program (at the completion of the program). This can be delivered in person or via Zoom.
By delivering the program for a seventh year, Screenworks wants to build the skills of emerging and early career screenwriters and provide an opportunity for people living and/or working in regional NSW to contribute to building our regional screen industry’s capacity and sustainability.
Who can apply?
2022 Inside The Writers Room program is open to early-career screenwriters living in regional NSW.
The program is particularly suitable for emerging or early-career writers of television content, and more specifically TV drama or comedy series, though writers with experience in other genres are welcome to apply.
Applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Must be able to demonstrate a high-level writing ability by providing an example of writing for TV, especially drama or comedy and demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a long-term career as a screenwriter;
- Be a current Screenworks member
- Resident in regional NSW for at least six months prior to the date of application
The following selection criteria will be considered when assessing applicants for participation in Screenworks’ Inside the Writers Room program:
- The potential for the writers room opportunity to help the applicant build relevant industry skills and the potential to establish a career as a screenwriter living and working regionally.
- The skills, achievements, experience and track record of the applicant and the quality of their previous work.
- The potential of the applicant to contribute to and enhance the growth of screen production in regional NSW.
What do I need to apply?
- Application Form
- A sample of your work – a treatment or script extract (up to 10 pages maximum)
- Proof of regional residency (eg driver’s licence, proof of age card)
For more details on the criteria and application process please see the Program Guidelines and Terms & Conditions below.
Applicants will be notified by late November 2021 of the outcome of their applications.