INSIDE THE WRITERS ROOM 2019
ADVANCING THE CAREERS OF REGIONALLY-BASED SCREENWRITERS
Inside the Writers Room is a professional development program designed to give four Regional NSW screenwriters the opportunity to sit in and watch professional writers working on the story for a television script in a writers room environment.
Thanks to the ongoing support of some of Australia’s leading production companies, Screenworks is able to offer the selected participants the opportunity to observe writers rooms of highly respected companies:
- Matchbox Pictures (Glitch, Safe Harbour, The Slap, Nowhere Boys, The Family Law)
- FremantleMedia Australia (Wentworth, Picnic At Hanging Rock, Neighbours)
- Every Cloud Productions (Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries, Newtown’s Law)
- More production companies announced shortly
These opportunities are most relevant to emerging or early-career writers of television content, and more specifically TV drama or comedy series. There may also be an opportunity for the participants to receive advice or a market appraisal on their own projects or scripts.
By delivering the program for a fifth year, Screenworks wants to build the skills of emerging and early-career screenwriters, provide opportunity for people living and/or working in regional NSW and improve our regional screen industry’s capacity and sustainability.
Four emerging or early-career screenwriters will be offered the following opportunities:
1. OPPORTUNITY TO OBSERVE A WRITERS ROOM IN ACTION
Up to 1 week trip to Sydney or Melbourne to observe a professional writers room take place at one of four productions companies. This component includes flights, accommodation (up to 5 nights), per diems and ground transfers included.
2. PRESENTATION TO LOCAL SCREENWRITERS GROUP
Successful participants will be required to provide a written report and a presentation to the local Screenwriters Group on the experience and outcomes from their involvement in the program (at the completion of the program). This can be delivered in person or via video.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA:
Screenworks will conduct an online application process and will establish a panel of industry professionals to help select the four emerging or early-career screenwriters to take part in the project.
To apply for Screenworks Inside the Writers Room you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Must be able to demonstrate a high-level writing ability by providing an example of writing for TV, especially drama or comedy and demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a long-term career as a screenwriter;
- Demonstrate that you have been living in Regional NSW* for a minimum period of 12 months prior to submitting your application (* refer to definitions below);
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Must be a Screenworks member
- Complete all sections of the online application form and submit the application prior to midnight Sunday November 25th 2018.
SUPPORT MATERIALS AND DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED:
1. Details on your current project (including title, short synopsis, potential format etc)
2. A sample of your work – a treatment or script extract (up to 5 pages maximum)
3. An up-to-date resume/CV
4. A letter of support from a screen industry professional who has known you for more than 12 months and/or is familiar with your work.
The following selection criteria will be considered when assessing applicants for participation in Screenworks Inside the Writers Room program (all criteria areas are equally weighted):
- The potential for the writers room opportunity to help the applicant build relevant industry skills and potential to establish a career as a screenwriter living and working regionally.
- The skills, achievements, experience and track record of the applicant(s) and the quality of their previous work.
- The potential of the applicant to contribute to and enhance the growth of screen production in Regional NSW demonstrated by the quality of sample works and support documentation provided with the application.
Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people living in remote areas of Australia are strongly encouraged.
Screenworks is strongly committed to ensuring equal access to this project – if you require assistance with your application, please contact Screenworks on:
Telephone: (02) 6681 1188
ASSESSMENT PROCESS & APPLICATION DEADLINES:
All applications will receive an initial eligibility, quality and relevance assessment by Screenworks staff. Shortlisted applications will be sent to an independent assessment panel that will include Create NSW and an experienced script writer.
The assessment panel will consider how well the eligible applicants meet the selection criteria (listed above).
Applicants will be notified by early December 2018 in writing of the outcome of their application.
Applications must be submitted using the online application form available via Screenworks website. No late entries will be accepted, no extensions will be granted. Incomplete applications will be deemed ineligible.
Screenworks will advise all applicants in writing of application success or otherwise. No specific feedback will be given on individual applications.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE MIDNIGHT SUNDAY 25th NOVEMBER 2018
DEFINITIONS/GLOSSARY OF TERMS:
Regional NSW – Regional NSW includes the Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra and is defined as the areas or regions outside of Sydney and Western Sydney. Please refer to this document for clarification.
Create NSW is the statutory authority established to assist, promote and strengthen the screen industry in NSW so as to promote Australia’s cultural identity, encourage employment in all aspects of screen production, encourage investment in the industry, enhance the industry’s export potential, encourage innovation and enhance quality in the industry.
Matchbox Pictures is a film and television production company that makes world-class screen content for a global audience. Matchbox produces a diverse slate of programming across television drama, children’s, factual & entertainment, animation and feature films.
Matchbox is one of the most dynamic and innovative production houses in Australia. Since its inception in 2008, Matchbox has enjoyed continued domestic and international acclaim as a result of telling stories that inspire and entertain and has been awarded Media Production Business of the Year three times by the Screen Producer’s of Australia Association.
Fremantle’s Australian offices are part of a global entertainment group, and one of the market leaders in the creation and production of entertainment brands. Fremantle has a long and distinguished history in the Australian television industry. For nearly 55 years we have been at the forefront of innovative programming and production. And it all started with one man, Reg Grundy, and his company Grundy Television.
Our Company name may have changed, but the Grundy DNA runs through our veins. Fremantle productions include Take Me Out, The X Factor, Australia’s Got Talent, Great Australian Bake Off, Grand Designs Australia and one of the country’s most-loved formats in Australian Idol; and original drama such as Wentworth, Neighbours, Mary: Making Of A Princess, Wonderland, Hoges: The Paul Hogan Story and Picnic at Hanging Rock.
We’re at the forefront in the creation of original digital media content, brand integration and brand extensions.
Every Cloud Productions is an independent, Australian production company producing distinctive, high-quality television drama for domestic and international markets. Masters of crime, mystery and female-led content, Every Cloud Productions know how to deliver finely crafted, high-quality scripted drama for the global market. We bring together key creatives with vivid imaginations to take audiences on adventures across contemporary spaces & historical timelines. Our characters are bold, entertaining, rebellious, charming, generous & vulnerable; igniting fan-bases globally.
Every Cloud Productions is focused on fostering Australian talent, supporting co-operative alliances with creative producers across various media formats, and engaging with development opportunities within the industry.
Possessing established relationships with international sales agents and distributors, the company continues to focus on making exceptional drama productions for domestic and international audiences.
Published on October 24, 2018 1:49 am